Sunday, September 19, 2010

The BIG 4th of July

This image brings back a flood of memories for each individual who lives in United States and has celebrated the BIG event of the Independence Day. I grew up in Latvia which is a small country in northern Europe by the Baltic Sea. I rarely saw fireworks and not until I moved to USA at the age of nine, did I finally see a fireworks show. This picture is the sign that everyone reads depending on how they were disciplined in their culture. In American most of us would link it to having time off at work, having a town celebration, or trying to find a spot in the dark from where its the best view of the show. The object on the 4th of July is the whole event itself, being surrounded by crazy people all around you trying to find a spot on the grass. Just the whole environment of noise, little kids screaming, it being dark at 10 pm, and you trying to have the most glow in the dark rings and bracelets. I think the fireworks are the subjects in this whole event because that is what we see and remember as the connection between this big event and the date itself. I have no clue why the dog is in the picture but I guess it just makes it more interesting because most dogs are afraid of the noise from fireworks.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the first image that comes to my head when I hear "4th of July" is fireworks. More implicitly, the fireworks are meant to commemorate our independence from England during the Revolutionary War, with the flashing and loud "booms" representing the bombs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also agree, when the 4th of July comes up each summer I am reminded of fireworks and their loud noises. To me the sound of fireworks is the true sign of the 4th, which is very loud and wake everyone up if they don't celebrate the 4th. The sound signifies most stereotypically freedom and rebellion, but also the stereotypical American way of life (imperialistic, loud, etc.).

    ReplyDelete