Sunday, October 31, 2010

Although we analyzed it in class, I'm going to discuss the scene in which Jake first lands among the Navi while riding Toruk as an example for a behavior that recurs multiple times throughout the film.

The first time that I saw Avatar (back when it was still in theaters), before I even got through the first half, I was aware of and bothered by Jake's unprecedented adaption into the Navi culture, and his resulting smugness. After re-watching it for class, I no longer read much of Jake's behavior as smug, and consider that his whole being "the one" thing probably has something to do with his natural abilities. That said, my initial reading is still relevant, and the scene mentioned earlier jumped out at me during both viewings, regardless of my altered opinion toward Jake's representation.

In class, someone read this scene as threatening, observing that Toruk was suggestively in view behind Jake implying 'or else' as he asked for Tsu'tey's help. I never saw the scene in that light, but rather saw it as a slap in the face to both Tsu'tey and the Navi people. Jake, after rapidly growing proficient in the Navi ways (also a bit of a slap in the face), speaks out and demands that the Navi wage war against the humans. His plea is rejected, and he is labeled a traitor. Does Jake respond with respect and humility? No, he instead decides to conquer their culture's greatest and most sacred tradition with an absurd amount of ease. After doing so, he flaunts his victory in the face of those who had spoken against him, knowing that they'll now treat his every word as if it were divine.

I may have a more balanced view of it after my second viewing, but both times I saw this scene I read Jake as a spoiled child getting his way by abusing a weakness of his mother's. I realize his intentions were sound, as he was only trying to save the forest and the lives of everything living there. It just seemed like a really disrespectful, smug, and childish way to go about it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I was a bit annoyed also with Jake's quick and easy adaptation to the Navii people. It again stresses the aspect of a superior being, being Jake, because he was able to adapt so well, maybe he possesses some type of knowledge that the Navii will never be able to.

    ReplyDelete