Sunday, October 24, 2010

Obama

Since I did not attend the rally, I decided to post about a blog article I read on tcdailyplanet.net, and the reaction to the President's visit in the Star Tribune. Both were very informative and gave a lot of good insight to his visit. What I got out of these articles is that Obama ripped on the republicans and campaigned for Mark Dayton for most of his speech. This is very important because Obama is trying to advance the democrats and make them more popular while at the same time making the republicans seem stupid. He talked about the economy basically said that the democrats were working hard to fix it, while the republicans were "fanning themselves, sippin' on a slurpee." This is very obviously working to advance the democrats while surpressing the republicans.
These two articles represented the speech and visit as what it was, a rally for a democrat to become governor in Minnesota. I think that everything I have read/watched about his visit mentions him ripping on the republicans. I was also surprised to see that there was not much talk of protestors. I thought that there would be more coverage on them, but both articles say that not many protestors were actually there. Also, both articles focused almost solely on the president speaking and mentioned nothing about what Mark Dayton actually did or said. This kind of fits into the Hegelian theory that history is made by great men doing great things. The fact that Obama is the president automatically gives him more popularity than any other speakers there. However, one would think that they would at least mention some of the things Dayton had to say.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/105608303.html?page=2&c=y

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog/dick-bernard/presidenet-obama-comes-twin-cities

4 comments:

  1. I agree, most articles I read about the event were focused solely on Obama. I feel like the only thing I know about Mark Dayton is that he is a Democrat. Personally, I am a definite Democrat, but still I feel like the speech was mostly "This guy is a Democrat, therefore you should vote for him." I usually almost always agree with Democrat's standings on issues but I feel like I didn't get much information at all about the issues at hand and where the candidate stood on them. I agree with what you said about the whole "big man" thing. We were totally blinded by Obama's fame and just sheer importance to our country that it was forgotten by some what the real purpose of the event was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree when you said "one would think that they would at least mention some of the things Dayton had to say", I didn’t hear anything that Mark Dayton said. Like I said in my post, Mark Dayton got put in the shadows. Not once did I ever hear that President Obama was coming to our school for Dayton’s campaign. I thought it was going to be more of an educational, inspiring speech. Throughout all the articles I read and news clips I seen, it was all centered and focused around President Obama. The only thing I honestly got from Obama being at Mark Dayton’s campaign was he is supporting him for the simple fact he is democrat, not because he has future good plans for being the Governor of Minnesota. Overall I believe the whole ideal was faced around Obama, and the real picture got cut out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the way you wrote the first paragraph. When you're giving the overview of the rally, you sound bored, like this is all standard and expected. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but through the tone of your writing, you gave your own representation of the article's representation of the rally.

    I also appreciated your application of Hegelian theory, as the general exclusion of Dayton from the articles is a perfect example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would point out that since you didn't go to the event, and neither did I, the articles and videos we watched already made and showed the history in a certain perspective. Since we weren't present at the actual event, we only get probably 1% of what actually went on from the material published. This material already represented that day in a specific way, and we are trying to show it as well. The articles did miss a lot of extra material and focused mainly on the speech and the front of the stage.

    ReplyDelete