Sunday, October 31, 2010

Not Just a Movie

I can remember when the first previews came out for Avatar my reactions were that the movie was just going to be another "alien" sci-fi movie. And to my pleasant surprise i actually enjoyed the movie and am a fan. But in class when we talked about how some people go into avatar depression over it i was a little taken aback, because after all it is just a movie. However when I analyzed my scene from the movie I began to see why some people might actually connect to the movie so emotionally that depression is their answer.
I analyzed the part in the movie where all the American air-craft carriers were in line and were in sync to bomb the home-tree and when it was Trudys turn, she quote said "screw this" and turned her machine around and decided not to partake in the bombing of the "alien's" home.
To me this scene reminded me instantly of the Holocaust and a specific picture I once saw where there was a Nazi standing amongst a line of jews who were about to be shot, and the Nazi said he was not going to shot them so the other Nazis had him put his gun down and stand in line with him and go join the other jews in line to be killed.
I felt that connection where sometimes there are people in the world who say no against conformity and do what they believe is best. Trudy decided that bombing civilian's home is morally wrong and therefore she made a single decision to not do what she was being told. This i can see is a reason why some people become so emotionally attached to the movie. What would a Holocaust survivor feel if they saw this movie and saw the part when Trudy pulled away her vehicle and they instantly was reminded of maybe the reason of why they were alive?
For that reason, it is why some people see movies as not just movies.. and although depression is a little extreme.. it is naive for people to just assume that no emotion should be involved because it is just entertainment.. it is never just entertainment.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your point of how movies are not just movies. And yes even though sometimes those emotions leave us soon after we leave the theater or begin doing something else besides watching the movie, when understanding and witnessing such emotional events it is impossible to not feel what characters are going through or feeling. A great example I always think of when asking myself why I care so much is when movies have serendipity within them or something happens when the character only sees half of what is going on and you want to tell them "NO no you don't understand you didn't see the whole background or story, it looks bad but it isn't." I totally find myself yelling that in half of the love stories I watch. Just like the holocaust and someone surviving or watching that when we find even a part of us that can relate to a character whether it be the human aspect, the sci fi, the romance, the action whatever it is we instantly get sucked in and feel attached to the film we are watching. This is why Avatar is so successfull it creates a world which so many types of people feel they can relate, unlike anything most people have imagines before, and yet a story that is possibly stereotypical of the best stories that we have known and grown up with! Good JOb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the emotions of entertainment. If there were no emotions involved in entertainment no one would go and see movies. Movies are a place where the viewer can go and imagine a world they are not a part of for a brief time and in doing so feel better (or worse) about themselves...
    the example of the picture of the Nazi not shooting is a great connection with the movie Avatar and this scene. it also reminds me of a photo of a Nazi soldier giving a child food that hung in my 10th grade english class.

    ReplyDelete