Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Reason I want to be an Avatar


Avatar is by far one of my most favorite movies that I have ever seen. I want to dissect that scene that is right after Jake is saved by Neytiri and then discovers this new world. The scene could be started from the moment he gets there as an Avatar and given a gun to protect and becomes separated from the others. As he is chased by an angry rhino like animal and gets lost the viewer begins to sense that what this place is is extremely different from anything that we have imagine before. The other thing that I took away from this and why I be live Avatar was so successful is that unlike other movies like star wars and harry potter with concepts like people in the stars and spaceships or witches and wizards, this idea of being on a different planet with "alien" like creators but don't fit any sort of one stereotype is something most people wouldn't have been able to think of on their own. I have imagined wizards before Harry Potter and I definitely pictured spaceships in the sky, but this technology and idea and creativity with a world beyond my imagination is simply put damn cool. My overall view of this scene compares it to like a kid in the candy store when Jake is discovering this whole new amazing place.
This scene creates the idea or wants the viewer to believe and know that there is a place for anyone who is sad, depressed, paralyzed or stuck in something, like when they feel that nothing else matters that all of a sudden can be turned around. This is the idea of being in a second life which for me honestly freaks me out a bit but for someone like Jake it is the simply the best experience one could DREAM of. Before becoming an Avatar Jake is in such a sad and bad place in his life. He had gotten to the point where he felt as though nothing really mattered anymore and in my opinion was pretty confused about what he stood for. This scene does an extremely good job at emphasizing the difference and excitement Jake experiences in this new world called Pandora. As he is running, touching, discovering and experiencing the things around him that are so new he develops this passion that the view sees for the first time and it is envied and exciting.

New is something that can be taken two ways when someone experiences change, people can either go with it and like/love it or hate it. Change isn't something that is handled well by most people or in other times change can be something that is needed in order to appreciate anything else/be happy. Nature and being one with it is a concept reinforced by this scene and this film and there is something about it that is established as what make sense. For some who are environmentalists and feel a strong fulfillment when in nature or preserving it or "being one with it" this is an idea that knock the socks off of them because it is so imaginable and wanted, something that truly would make them melt would to live in world that functioned like Pandora. Then there are those that are potentially the exact opposite and find the concepts stupid and idiotic and weird. Me on the other hand, I don't feel the same amount of passion for the environment or anything but it is something that I believe about being in the world of Pandora and living life like that looks like a lot more fun that what I do day to day. When watching the movie I found myself wanting to ride a dragon and feel things that don't seem to exist in my REAL world. This scene takes us to a place that shows us all of what we don't feel or sense so that in our illusion what is shown and created for us to think is that the life we are living right now is not as exciting as it could potentially be.

No comments:

Post a Comment