Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ashley Madison(.com) is a homewrecker?

First off, great job to the group who did that capstone project! It did exactly what a cultural studies project is supposed to do (at least I think). You really analyzed this website from multiple angles. You presented different points from psychological, sociological, and philosophical points which really added body to your project. Also, I loved the use of Hobbes, Rousseau, Marx, and Bordo (all of which have no seeped their way into my daily thought process)
One of the best points of your project is that this website is made for those already dishonest and cheating. So often when we see these types of things do we see through the constructed view our culture has made us, through the structure of feelings. I'll be honest, when hear the name Ashley Madison the words "dirty, cheating, home-wrecking, slut-creating, pieces of shit that ruin the holiness of Marriage." My feelings are so docile to culture that my body refuses to give it more thought. I never thought that most of the people who would go on this probably have a history of cheating. Then in the subject of cheating itself, I love how you pointed out the gender inequalities that our society has created. It is very interesting how we perceive promiscuity and fidelity differently based on gender.
Overall, great piece, you really captured the basic essence of the course! Good luck on the finals to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment