Sunday, December 19, 2010

Twilight

While scanning through the list of Capstone Projects, I immediately stopped at the one about the Twilight Saga. I’ll admit it, I am a huge fan. No, I’m not one of those crazy obsessive people that pack up their lives and literally move to Forks, Washington in hopes of running into the Cullens (You can read about these people on mylifeistwilight.com). But I have reread the series, and I have seen all the available movies countless times. The first time I read the series, I literally didn’t do anything else… and that wasn’t uncommon for a teenage girl reading the books for the first time. The way Stephenie Meyer tells this dramatic love story is so addicting; somehow you are entirely able to connect yourself to this unrealistic world of vampires and werewolves.
There was a part of this groups analysis that I could agree with completely, and it is about Edwards’ controlling aspects and Bella’s unhappiness when he is gone. While reading New Moon I wondered why Stephenie would promote the need of a male figure in Bella’s life to be necessary for her own happiness. After Edward leaves she completely shuts down, and it’s not until Jacob Black comes into her life that she begins to feel alive again. Yes, it is very easy to get caught up in all the romance and fantasy of these books, but I do agree with this group there are many messages sent out to young girls that 1. You need a man (or vampire or werewolf) in your life in order to be happy 2. Controlling and stalker-ish behaviors aren’t creepy, but sexy And 3. Putting yourself in danger is the only way to get back the person you love (as seen in New Moon)
The group also stressed the impact on relationships that this saga has created. Many men feel they cannot live up to the romantic ways of Edward Cullen, or be the suddenly super-hot best friend that promises to love you forever. And, this is very true. This book sets unrealistic standards for love, and we as females realize this kind of love is not possible in real life- which is why many of us become obsessed with these fictional characters. We know we can’t have them, but the idea of them makes it worth it. It is similar to the people with post-Avatar depression, they want to live in a world that is as beautiful as Pandora and realize it is unattainable, and that is how many Twihards react after reading the series.
All in all, the analysis was pretty good. I could tell by reading it that none of the group members were huge fans because of a few misleading points based on the series but all in all it was really good. They even pointed out a few new things to me that I had never caught onto before. Good work J

No comments:

Post a Comment