Saturday, December 18, 2010

SpRiNg aWaKEnIng!!!


I read the capstone project on the Broadway musicál: "Spring Awakening". As an english major I have had plenty of close experiences with the world of theatre. This capstone project was an interesting overview on the history and cultural importances of "Spring Awakening". Well done Caitlin. But, I must say that I feel that there may be too much credit given to "Spring Awakening" in your presentation in terms of groundbreaking material brought up in a musical. I am sure that part of your approach is that the musical covers a vast array of topics. it is the schmorgasborg of sexual angst/teen drama in a musical, I suppose. But by no means is "Spring Awakening" groundbreaking, if anything it is just shoved down the audiences throats in a catchy fashion. The subject of abortion was even brought up as early as 1966 in "Cabaret" and homosexuality has been on the musical stage since the creation of musicals. I suppose my point is that the theatre has had its experiences with controversial material in many different venues and the such and the limits have been tested and pushed. This same sort of logic applies to cinema and if it weren't for the FCC I am sure it would have been surpassed by television. Admittedly, a masturbation scene on stage is certainly shocking, but what is being said by it? Sexual revolution? or a bawdy wow factory to stir the audience into a frenzy. I think both aspects work, but I think the forefathers to theatre and the art of performance have tackled much of the issues covered and brought up in "Spring Awakening" and that instead the audience being targeted is a younger crowd. In short, the material is getting raunchier for a younger audience. They are selling sex to the Glee generation (middle schoolers and college freshmen). I suppose this is the best way to keep audiences interested though, especially young hormonal ones. Sex sells as we all know, and that certainly applies to the theatre. Would you agree?!

No comments:

Post a Comment