Sunday, December 19, 2010

Craigslist Personals

I chose to open this project up because it sounded like a really interesting topic, full of potential for cultural analysis. Unfortunately, I felt it underutilized a great idea, and only skimmed the top layer of what could have been discussed. I agree with what was said about Craigslist ads promoting docile bodies in the sense that it forces its users to work within the confines of the program. But I felt that , while the group seemed to focus particularly on sexual ads, they completely overlooked the agency that numerous individuals are portraying by placing such personal material on the internet.
I also wasn't very impressed with the last slide, which discussed the fundamental heteronormative nature of personal ads. I don't mind the claim, though I don't necessarily agree with it, but a bisexual male stating that he is "not the traditional boyfriend" being used to illustrate his conscious self-perception as an outsider is quite the long shot. Why must he be referring to his sexual orientation? It seems just as likely that he's referring to one of his many other personal traits.
Overall, I was a bit let down by the direction this group chose to take on such an interesting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment