Monday, December 20, 2010

Depressed? Really?


Is depression the new normal state of being or is it a cultural phenomenon? This is the question which was displayed on the last slide. I think it's both, they are overlapping but one state is above the other. Currently I think it is a cultural phenomenon but in a couple of years or so it will become a normal state of being.

As I was looking through the presentation they brought up a few things which were causing depression. One main source was the media. I was really pissed off because looking back and analyzing my exposure to media, I realize that it has significantly impacted me. I remember watching Avatar for the first time and then being depressed for almost a week afterwards. I wanted to live in that perfect land where everything was perfect, mountains were flying, and you could have a pet bird! That would have been sweet. Lord of the Rings is another example, especially the Hobbit Land where everything is perfect and you get to share everything. Media is a huge influence on depression, and the more we get exposed to it the more its going to impact us. It's crazy how much more people are taking anti-depressant pills. I work at a pharmacy and I notice that so many of the drugs are antidepressants. Its especially devastating when you see young kids or young teenagers taking antidepressants when they should be full of life and joy enjoying their young years. It will become a state of normal being, if we continue to live the way we are living heading into the path of media's fantasies.

No comments:

Post a Comment