Monday, December 6, 2010

Different views=More power to you.

One of the main things that stood out to me in “Beyond the realm of reason”, in regards to forming opinion or our own “rhetoric” was the line that read, “Our rhetorics, in a sense, are interdependent. Our knowledge, and theirs, become powerful only in relation to each other.” When you think about that, it makes a lot of sense. Imagine if everyone was democrat and nobody was republican. Our views as Democrats wouldn’t be very powerful because there would be no one to challenge and question them so we would never have to defend them. Our ideas and opinions are, according to Bordieu, formed by our habitus, or our “durable dispositions”, the way we are naturally inclined to act. I believe what was trying to be put across in this article was that just because something has been completely and accurately proved by science with concrete evidence (in this case global warming), there will be those who are opposed to it for their own reasons, for instance, the John Birch Society. This article is more about how people form opinions rather them the opinions themselves. In this situation, the John Birch Society is the marginal group but using the power of the dominant press. They write there opinions in a way where the person reading them will feel like a “heroic rebel” because they know they are opposed to such “nonsense”. Who knows, those part of the John Birch Society may take much pride in being the “underdog”.

The Center for Science and Culture article I decided to look at was entitled “The Dark side of Darwinism”. I couldn’t wait to see what this was going to be like, since I am a strong believer of evolution and cannot stand when people believe it doesn’t exist. I am Catholic in my religion but my parents both work in a scientific field and I went to public school where evolution was taught, so I was raised to have a more rational, scientific mind, which is part of my own habitus. Back to the article, one of the lines that stood out to me the most, not in the best way, was “Evolutionary thinking inspired modern scientific racism.” When learning about evolution in school, a thought relating to racism or genocide never crossed my mind. It all goes back to the whole idea of it doesn’t matter how much concrete “truthful” evidence there is, people will always have their own “truths” about such things. And like I mentioned in the beginning, without our differing “truths”, we would maybe not have passion to stand up and fight for them.

4 comments:

  1. Wow I like where you are headed with this one! I was just talking with another teacher how highschool never really taught me to appreciate different perspectives when it came to knowledge. The poetics of the way you write "truth" in quotations leads me to believe these are more of just opinions and theories. If that is so, and education has proved one of these as a real Truth, than why would we still have opinions and other self-held "truths" ? Though I would partially agree with "evolutionary thinking inspired modern scientific racism". The belief that only the strongest survive has been woven into almost everything we do, especially as "the capitalists" as Marx would refer to us. our culture has been conditioned to believe that we must prove ourselves and make ourselves dominate in order to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also really interested in the way that you took your post. It's interesting to see how The Center for Science and Culture draws upon false interpretations of Darwinism in the past and presents it as an overarching belief that has carried through to today. What is unfortunate is that capitalists and racists interpreted Darwin's theories as applying to social theory as well. You are so right that there is no capital-T "truth" that anyone can easily find, and I was frustrated while reading that so many believed that something so elusive was so easily defined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post and am similar to you in the fact that I never would think of racism and evolution together. After reading this post and the actual article as well, most of it makes sense. The quote that you used from the article was very interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can MAKE 'modern scientific racism' out of Darwin--but you're MAKING it.

    I like to think you can 'make' bad things out of almost anything. Scripture, for example: the Crusades and a lot of hanged Puritan witches.

    ReplyDelete