Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cheaters

I chose the 'love affair with cultural studies.' First off the title caught my eye because at first I was thinking it had something to do with the class itself possibly. When I opened it I was definitely pulled in a different direction. This Capstone project is on the website titled AshleyMadison.com. The description and part of the powerpoint described this as a website for married people whom are seeking out a 'casual affair' that can be kept secret from their spouse. Being the curious being that I am I typed in the website in my search box and looked up the site right away.
That didn't get me too far... because there was no way I was signing up for this obviously. The main picture made me let out a little laugh though, it is of a woman tugging at a mans pants, it gives the depiction that they are about to "jump each others bones" (which is why they used it for this site I am guessing).

I think that this site is terrible. I really wish I would not have opened this project and that I would have chosen something else. I would not know the website existed and would be happier that way.
I find myself to be a strong believer in the practice of marriage and feel that it is extremely sad that there is a service and even worse people working for this service that aid in its destruction.
There are MILLIONS of people who use this site. I feel horrible for their spouses that are unaware.
This might all go back to my own personal experiences of infidelity in my life. I have dated people who have not been faithful and I have felt pain from those situations. I can't imagine that on a bigger level when you are married. To me, marriage is like a lifestyle. Every aspect of your life is really apart of your marriage. All of the things you own, where you sleep, what you eat, where you go out, if you have children, pets etc. Its all connected to your significant other. That other person is supposed to be there for you and you should always be able to count on them. I, like many, want that someday. Maybe I want it for reasons that have been brainwashed into my head by the culture around me. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that I hate this web site and I think that it is awful.
Marriage is supposed to be sacred. This website is making it seem like it is silly and okay to run out on.
All the people who use it are just a bunch of damn cheaters.
Gross.


"life's short, have an affair."
I wonder if they have heard of the saying "once a cheater, always a cheater."




1 comment:

  1. it IS horrifying--but really interestingly horrifying. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete